Re: Make ocaml-best-compilers non-virtual

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 11:25:00AM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Johannes Schauer:
> > [..]
> >
> > Notice, that apscud somehow seems to think that ocaml-native-compilers (=
> > 4.02.3-7+b1) is able to satisfy the dependency on "ocaml-best-compilers (>=
> > 4.03.0)" even though that version of ocaml-native-compilers does not provide a
> > specific version of ocaml-best-compilers and should thus not be considered
> > for possibly providing a versioned dependency.
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > So since the Cudf representation of ocaml-native-compilers (= 4.02.3-7+b1)
> > provides "--virtual-ocaml-best-compilers%3aamd64 = 2147483646" it is able to
> > satisfy the dependency relationship of sbuild-build-depends-ocamlbuild-dummy.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Thank you josch! So what is the best way forward here? Is it worth us waiting for apt-cudf to be fixed?

I don't think that this behaviour of apt-cudf will be changed rapidly.
I'm not even sure that it is a bug (see me previous answer to
Josch). This question probably merits to be asked on debian-devel.

> To answer Ralf before, no ocamlbuild does not strictly *need* a build-depends on ocaml-best-compilers. But it is nice to do this - especially since we are recommending this in the OCaml packaging guide - and it has helped us find a bug. :)

I don't agree. The policy says :

  In order to build **big** programs and benefit from this natively built
  compiler, packages should depend on ocaml-best-compilers

  (my emphasis on big)

It was always the intention that only packages which take a significant
time of ocaml compilation should do that. When we wrote the policy we
were in particular thinking of coq.

-Ralf.