Re: Packaging for 4.03.0 and OCamlbuild

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:57:00AM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Stéphane Glondu:
> >>
> >> This would be part of a general 4.02->4.03 transition. Are there any
> >> plans for that ? New versions of packages of the toolchain would be
> >> uploaded to experimental, first.
> >
> > Did you try to rebuild all packages using the new ocaml/ocamlbuild? Once this is done, a slot must be asked to the release team (e.g. bug #789133).
> >

> I haven't done a transition myself before, I don't really know the process and it would be good if other people could guide/help with it.

I didn't mean that we need a transition for ocamlbuild alone, but that
it would probably be part of a general ocaml transition. My question
whether this is planned was to the list, not specifically to Ximin.

> >> That would be ocaml-best-compilers, but why do you need that ?
> >> ocamlbuild should not be that expensive to build.
> >
> > This point is critical. Many packages depend on ocamlbuild, we don't want them to become native-only.
> >

> I fixed this in https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocamlbuild.git/commit/?id=4df02c1e1d6025469c42e653cba30481b1499366
>
> I had "ocaml-native-compilers | ocaml" as a Build-Dep, but I'll replace this with "ocaml-best-compilers" now that I know about it, thanks.

I still don't understand why you need this. ocaml-native-compilers just
provides the *.opt versions of the compilers, it has nothing to do with
the ability to compile to native code or not. That is, unless ocamlbuild
uses presence of *.opt in a wrong way.

-Ralf.