Re: Make ocaml-best-compilers non-virtual

Ralf Treinen:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 11:25:00AM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Johannes Schauer:
>>> [..]
>>>
>>> Notice, that apscud somehow seems to think that ocaml-native-compilers (=
>>> 4.02.3-7+b1) is able to satisfy the dependency on "ocaml-best-compilers (>=
>>> 4.03.0)" even though that version of ocaml-native-compilers does not provide a
>>> specific version of ocaml-best-compilers and should thus not be considered
>>> for possibly providing a versioned dependency.
>>>
>>> [..]
>>>
>>> So since the Cudf representation of ocaml-native-compilers (= 4.02.3-7+b1)
>>> provides "--virtual-ocaml-best-compilers%3aamd64 = 2147483646" it is able to
>>> satisfy the dependency relationship of sbuild-build-depends-ocamlbuild-dummy.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Thank you josch! So what is the best way forward here? Is it worth us waiting for apt-cudf to be fixed?
>
> I don't think that this behaviour of apt-cudf will be changed rapidly.
> I'm not even sure that it is a bug (see me previous answer to
> Josch). This question probably merits to be asked on debian-devel.
>
>> To answer Ralf before, no ocamlbuild does not strictly *need* a build-depends on ocaml-best-compilers. But it is nice to do this - especially since we are recommending this in the OCaml packaging guide - and it has helped us find a bug. :)
>
> I don't agree. The policy says :
>
>   In order to build **big** programs and benefit from this natively built
>   compiler, packages should depend on ocaml-best-compilers
>
>   (my emphasis on big)
>
> It was always the intention that only packages which take a significant
> time of ocaml compilation should do that. When we wrote the policy we
> were in particular thinking of coq.

I understand. My point was more along the lines of, it's a good way to test that the policy works. I can agree that small programs should generally not do this - but ocamlbuild has a special position in the ocaml ecosystem, and it's nice to use this to test the policy.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git