apt-cudf thinks unversioned Provides: ocaml-best-compilers can satisfy a versioned Build-Depends:

Ximin Luo:
> Johannes Schauer:
>> [..]
>>
>> Notice, that apscud somehow seems to think that ocaml-native-compilers (=
>> 4.02.3-7+b1) is able to satisfy the dependency on "ocaml-best-compilers (>=
>> 4.03.0)" even though that version of ocaml-native-compilers does not provide a
>> specific version of ocaml-best-compilers and should thus not be considered
>> for possibly providing a versioned dependency.
>>
>> [..]
>>
>> So since the Cudf representation of ocaml-native-compilers (= 4.02.3-7+b1)
>> provides "--virtual-ocaml-best-compilers%3aamd64 = 2147483646" it is able to
>> satisfy the dependency relationship of sbuild-build-depends-ocamlbuild-dummy.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Thank you josch! So what is the best way forward here? Is it worth us waiting for apt-cudf to be fixed?
>
> To answer Ralf before, no ocamlbuild does not strictly *need* a build-depends on ocaml-best-compilers. But it is nice to do this - especially since we are recommending this in the OCaml packaging guide - and it has helped us find a bug. :)
>
> However if it will take too long to fix, then I could change this to ocaml-nox (>= 4.03.0) instead, temporarily just so that ocamlbuild enters Debian and we can proceed with the already-late transition.

Oh, to clarify the Subject: line for dose-devel:

We *were* thinking of making ocaml-best-compilers a non-virtual package, but didn't actually do this. Then, josch pointed out that a versioned-Provides is (in recent times, and in theory) supposed to be able to satisfy a versioned-Build-Depends. So we changed:

from ocaml 4.02.3-7
Provides: ocaml-best-compilers

to ocaml 4.03.0-5
Provides: ocaml-best-compilers (= 4.03.0-5)

and added to ocamlbuild 0.9.3-3
Build-Depends: ocaml-best-compilers (>= 4.03.0)

(We need >= 4.03 rather than >= 4.02 because of some technical Debian issue that is not worth going into here. Yes I know it "also works with 4.02".)

Other Debian tools can deal with this in the intuitive expected way, but apt-cudf cannot. (Yes this is a relatively new feature, I didn't even know about it until a few days ago.)

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git