Re: Plasma

Am Mittwoch, den 02.11.2011, 23:22 +0100 schrieb Stéphane Glondu:
> Le 02/11/2011 21:13, Gerd Stolpmann a écrit :
> > First, Plasma needs an absolutely recent version of ocamlnet, i.e.
> > 3.4.1. I couldn't find a repository with it.
>
> I've just updated it (in Debian unstable).

Thanks. I just debootstrapped unstable. I see here three problems:

1. The part of ocamlnet using cryptokit is missing (i.e. netmech-scram)
2. The part of ocamlnet using camlzip is missing (i.e. netzip)
3. I wonder why the *.netdb files are in libocamlnet-ocaml-dev and not
   in libocamlnet-ocaml, because there are cases where the files are
   read in at runtime.

For Plasma I really need 1. I guess it was just overlooked that Ocamlnet
added further libraries depending on cryptokit and camlzip, because
these parts are only built when enabled at configure time.

I can fill out bug reports if this helps you.

> > Second, there is the question how to get it into Debian. The dpkg is no
> > problem for me as long as I publish it for myself, but it would be more
> > visible if it were in Debian. Honestly, I'm hoping to find somebody who
> > could fill out the role as maintainer, leaving me in the second row.
>
> The proper way to ask for a new package is to submit an RFP bug, as
> explained in:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>
> RFP bugs are sent to the debian-devel mailing-list, which many people
> involved in Debian read. Then someone interested for introducing the
> package and maintaining it might pick it up and turn it into ITP.
>
> Additionally, in your case, you can also add
> debian-ocaml-maint@lists.debian.org in CC.

Thanks for the information.

> As far as I am concerned, I can provide help for the OCaml-related
> parts, but maybe someone more interested in Plasma itself would be a
> better fit for actually introducing the package.

It's fortunately Ocaml-only, but you are right, another person
interested in actually using the software would definitely a win.

> > Third, is there a way to make it more known using Debian channels? For
> > general use, it is interesting because it provides an easy way for
> > getting a distributed and replicated filesystem that can be mounted via
> > NFS. "Easy" means here that it is just user-space software, and one does
> > not need expensive hardware like fiberchannels or router hacks to
> > implement it.
>
> Submitting an RFP bug looks the most "official" way to do that... but
> some people (including myself) skip them.
>
> There is also Debian Planet which is followed by lots of people
> (including myself)... so you can convince someone who has a blog listed
> there to write a post about Plasma :-)

There is at least some hope I can find somebody, because filesystems are
of general interest, and maybe trying to contact bloggers writing about
system topics could work.

Gerd

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Stéphane

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.
*** Searching for new projects! Need consulting for system
*** programming in Ocaml? Gerd Stolpmann can help you.