Re: RFC: Does it make sense to build a ocaml-eventfd package?

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:27:45 +0200
Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:

> > On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:27:29 +0200
> > Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> wrote:
> >
> >> And I also have some bindings to ioctl() that manipulate serial ports
> >> parameters buried in one of my other projects that should be elsewhere,
> >> but are not significant enough (IMHO) to make a separate project [1].
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> http://krobot.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=krobot/krobot;a=tree;f=info/ocaml-serial;hb=HEAD

Converting from BSD3 to LGPL is ok?

> Should we have an ExtUnix.Linux submodule for eventfd and signalfd?
>
> Or use
>
> let eventfd () = throw ENOSYS
>
> on platforms that don't have it?

We have devised a README with sort of "vision" for ExtUnix, which should answer this question,
please have a look -
http://git.ocamlcore.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=extunix/extunix.git;a=blob_plain;f=README.txt;hb=HEAD

> I could imagine emulating the eventfd with pipes but signalfd might be
> impossible to emulate.

I think eventfd emulation on pipes doesn't count for "thin" binding and it can be probably
done entirely in ocaml side, but we could have it in single place anyway..

--
 ygrek
 http://ygrek.org.ua/