Re: dh-ocaml-like checksum-based dependency adoption for Haskell?

[ I'm posting back to the Debian OCaml Maint ML on
purpose. Thanks for keeping the CC in the future ]

Nomeata said:
>> Hi Zack,

>> since the academical harvest has already been brought in I did not
>> write a paper :-)
>>
>> The idea of hash-based dependencies has been floating around on the
>> Haskell list even before we know of dh-ocaml. At that time, rumors
>> were that such a large number of virtual packages would slow down
>> dpkg too much and not accepted by ftp-master, therefore we did not
>> pursue this at first and went by strict-up-to-upstream-version
>> dependencies.

The first implementation by Zack dates back to 2004 but we
haven't been fast in deploying it :)

>> Then ghc6 (the compiler) started to introduce ABI hashes for the
>> management of packages (in the Haskell sense). That was the point at
>>  which I decided that it’s time to use them in Debian as well. IIRC
>> this is a minor difference to your approach: While you have to
>> calculate a hash of the interface yourself, we can just use the hash
>> provided by ghc6 (but shortened to 5 chars, just as yours)

We don't compute the hash for the interface. That's delivered by OCaml. We
compute only an ABI for the whole library (or package).

What we were interesting in is the details of the implementation,
or some text describing the design behind your tool. Is such a
document available or should we look at the source code?

Regards,

-- Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
mehdi@{dogguy.org,debian.org}