Re: ocaml crosscompiler ?

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 02:06:56AM +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> So, some facts.

Thanks a lot for this summary.

Based on this, I'd say that the most straightforward choices look like:

- calling the binary package(s) containing the OCaml cross-compiler can
  be obtained from the current names by pre-pending "mingw32-", giving
  package names like "mingw32-ocaml".

  in fact, given the peculiarity of needs of the cross compiler, I'd
  say that we can refrain from splitting all "ocaml-*" packages as we
  do for the OCaml legacy compiler, but this has pros/cons

  - pros: reduce archive clutter, we can have just one "mingw32-ocaml"
    package containing everything. Also, I presume most of the split we
    currently has will be pointless anyhow, I doubt there is X11 support
    in the cross compiler, am I wrong?

  - cons: the packaging will be different and you won't be able to reuse
    a lot of debian/*, starting from control, but you need anyhow to
    have different package names. Right now I can't imagine how much
    practically you'll be able to reuse anyhow, you should probably
    balance that with the simplicity of having a single binary package.

  you will also probably need findlib quite soon, that should probably
  be called "mingw32-ocaml-findlib" and so on.

- the library path you propose (/usr/lib/mingw32-ocaml) looks reasonable
  to me

> Yes, I agree that building 32-bit modules is not relevant. However, a
> custom version of ocamlfind should be interesting. It is also very
> easy since it only involves a set of conf files if I remember
> well... It may be in a main mingw32-ocaml package, then...

I'd prefer to have a different package so that we keep the ability of
updating them independently.