Re: Transition to OCaml 3.11.1... - and to /usr/lib/ocaml

On 16-06-2009, Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
>> Eya, sorry for the delay. No problem with the transition, I agree with
>> the proposed plan.
>>
>> However, I'd like to propose an extra item to take care of during this
>> transition. Namely: moving our standard library to /usr/lib/ocaml/.
>
> I see no objection.

Since there is a solution for derivative, I see no objection either.

>> Finally, doing the transition now will help in spotting packages that
>> are not using the appropriate variable in debian/rules, but rather
>> relying on hard-coded paths such as "/usr/lib/ocaml/@OCamlABI@/".
>
> But these precautions won't be needed anymore once we do the switch,
> will they?

Using @OCamlStdlib@ is a good thing, hardcoded path should remain an
error (or just warning). Even if it is no more a problem, I would prefer
people using @OCamlStdlib@ and other variables.

But this is a matter of taste.

> Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :
>> I think we are too tigh regarding time. I prefer that Ubuntu ship a good
>> 3.11.0 release than to have to fight for months to get a 3.11.1.
>
> Problem solved, it appears.

Indeed.

>> Moreover, we can use 3.11.1 transition to stress test dh-ocaml after we
>> have add some functionnalities (like automatic dependencies). This will
>> made us wait until, at least, Debcamp.
>
> This can be done independently. I'd rather not wait Debcamp to make this
> transition (we might have other errands to run by then).

Since synchronization with Ubuntu is ok, my argument doesn't stand
anymore.

Let's start the transition.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall