Re: Does anyone upload Debian package that uses OCaml?

Konnichiwa,

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:32:08AM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> > Please tell us when your package is ready for ocaml 3.11, and we will
> > have a look at it.
>
>  http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/failsafec/failsafec_1.1.0.1774-1.dsc
>  Good upstream, yeah :)

I just had a very brief look (sorry, I do not have much time at the moment).
Please have a look at the debian ocaml-packaging policy, in particular
for dependencies on the ocaml compiler. You shouldn't depend on
ocaml-native-compiler since this is available on only a few architectures.
The ocaml policy explains how to set up the package to also compile
and work on architectures that are not natively supported by ocaml.

debian/copyright: this is not very clear, please disinguish and
state clearly in the upper part of the file upstream author,
copyright holder, and licence (probably referring to the full
licence text later on in case it is not a standard licence).
Something along the lines of (taken from a different package):

This package was debianized by XXXX
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:18:32 +0100.

It was downloaded from http://...

Upstream Author: Luc Maranget <Luc.Maranget@inria.fr>

Copyright:

Copyright 1998, 1999, 2001 Institut National de Recherche en Informatique
et Automatique

License:

All source files marked "Copyright INRIA" in this distribution are
distributed under the terms of the Q Public License version 1.0
(included below).

And then you can list the full licence text, when necessary.

Also, we now use for most of our packages CDBS. I wasn't a friend
of cdbs for a long time but now find it useful, even if not ideal.
You might want to consider to switch to cdbs, too. The advantage
is that it yields a very compact debian/rules file that highlights
the points where your build process deviates from the standard way.
Afgain, this is described in he policy, and feel free to look
for examples in our svn and git repoistory.

All the Best -Ralf.