Re: Automatic generation of list of Uploaders in control files

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:42:13PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> I do not see this really as a problem. Different packages have
> different uploaders, and different ways how new uploaders are
> admitted. Some may not be team maintained at all.

Fair enough, but the problem is really how old uploaders are
removed. Something which basically does not happen, and can lead to
the (false) impression than hundreds of hands are working on a package
while it is really not the case. The proposed approach is basically
implementing "garbage collection" of Uploaders field.

Also, doing that, is a way to give credit where credit is due: if
someone hasn't done anything to a package in the last, 10 uploads, and
someone else has taken over the maintenance is it a matter of respect
for who is doing the work to get removed from Uploaders. The proposed
approach aims to implement that automatically, without having who is
doing the work manually removing other people (which can be seen as
un-polite).

> I hope that this is only meant for packages that are team
> maintained? If an owner of a package does not want to have it team
> maintained then we should not try to take it away from him, of
> course.

Yes, it is meant only for team-maintained packages. Actually, in my
mail I proposed even further that all packages hosted on team VCS are
implicitly team-maintained, but I agree that they are two different
issues, let's focus on the policy to manage Uploaders for
team-maintained packages.