Re: Automatic generation of list of Uploaders in control files

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:15:02PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:07:47PM +0100, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:

> The current situation is, at best, unorganized:
> - some packages have specific maintainers
> - some other (the vast majority) have d-o-m as maintainer, with
>   sub-cases for how Uploaders is managed
>   - some have a list which is the same since years, not representing
>     the reality of the package contributors
>   - some have an arbitrary list of people which used to be defined in
>     ocaml.mk to represent a situation of contributors of years ago
>   - some have people adding themselves the first time they touch a
>     package, with no "garbage collection" whatsoever

I do not see this really as a problem. Different packages have different
uploaders, and different ways how new uploaders are admitted. Some may
not be team maintained at all.

> I don't like this, well, mess.
> Given that packages are team maintained I think it makes sense to
> require some uniformity.
>
> My proposal is to do as the Gnome people do, namely: you consider the
> current debian/changelog, you took the list of last n different
> contributors listed in it, and you generate Uploaders from it.

I hope that this is only meant for packages that are team maintained? If
an owner of a package does not want to have it team maintained then we
should not try to take it away from him, of course.

-Ralf.