Re: ocaml-sha

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 06:16:07PM +0100, Florent Monnier wrote:
> I don't own 100% reading the debian package svn/git yet, but as long as I
> understand in debian the original makefile is not used at all, and replaced
> by a very simple one that uses OCamlMakefile.

That's correct.  (I've been the primary packager of this so far for
Debian.)  I probably should have tried harder to use upstream's
Makefile, but it seemed so simple to do it with OCamlMakefile that I
didn't bother.

> Which seems to result that in Debian this lib is compiled as a
> single sha.cma / sha.cmxa file (with sha{1,256,512}.cmi per
> modules).  (and the cmd-line progs are not compiled but probably the
> users won't care this)

Yes.  I should probably also include the test programs in an examples
subdirectory.  And I suppose one could make a case for unbundling
Sha1, Sha256, etc. into separate libraries, but nobody has requested
that yet.

> First do I have understood rigth what the debian package does ?
> (if not sorry for the noise)
>
> If yes, what would you recommand me to do for mandriva ?
> - replicate the debian build for unification (or because it's a better build),
>   or use the patched upstream makefile to respect the upstream build ?

I think you should do what I should have done but didn't: patch the
upstream Makefile, and send Vincent your patch, in case he can
incorporate it in the next release.

Also, you might want to add support for ocamldoc generation (that's
also built-in with OCamlMakefile) to your patch.