Re: pgocaml and calendar package.

Stéphane Glondu a écrit :
Hi,

Guillaume Yziquel a écrit :
-1- The current packaging of libocaml-calendar-dev delivers .cmo files,
and not .cma files;

-2- For this reason, pgocaml fails to compile properly on debian systems.

It's libcalendar-ocaml-dev. In one mail (from me) you quote, I point out
that the problem is not due to not delivering a .cma file, but because
of a slight change in calendar API. Delivering only a .cmo file instead
of a .cma (by use of a pack) is an upstream choice unrelated to Debian.

Sorry for the misnaming. OK, I understand that it's an upstream choice, and I gather that you think it is not a debian responsibility to change upstream source in this way.

However, not delivering .cma files seems to me rather weird, and I believe that it should be avoided. I'll therefore contact upstream to see if it can be changed.

-2- Packaging pgocaml in debian.

I was planning to do this anyway, but it's not on top of my priority
list. If interest is shown, I may re-prioritize it.

OK. Well, I would be interested in such a package.

I may also help, perhaps. I would be interested in packaging it, though I do not have much experience in packaging debian stuff, so some help might be needed. Also, I do not promise to do it very quickly...

What should be the course of action to follow?

If you want to test/use pgocaml right now, you can make it work by
adapting pgocaml with the new API (pretty trivial, a few open at
beginning of .ml files should do it). Hints given in the mails you
quote. Maybe it is already done in upstream VCS.

Yes, I've tried to abide by the hints. However, I ran into problems. See this mail on the pgocaml mailing list:

https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/pgocaml-dev/2008-December/000022.html

Cheers,

Wishing you all the best,

Guillaume Yziquel.