Re: patch management with git

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 03:16:33PM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> I beg to differ. Could you elaborate on this? IMHO, using rebase is the
> cleanest way I've seen so far to maintain patches and their history, in
> the sense that upstream could just import directly these patches (with
> their history) into their repos.

It is the best way to have a "clean" patch, of course, as you can mangle
the commit history to have only the right commits. However it is bad for
people who are following a git repository.

To our ends, I would like to never see rebases in the published branches
(master, topic branches, ...). If we want to have a (set of) scratch
branch to play with and to rebase freely that is fine, but they should
be advertised as such.

Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
XML stuff is so ... simplistic  -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time