Re: patch management with git

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul  9, 2008 at 14:11:19 +0200, Rémi Vanicat wrote:
>
>> One difficulties with this if evolving patch: git format-patch
>> generate one patch by git commit, when some of the commit are new
>> patches when other are modification of old patches. At least to use
>> topic branch render this clearer (one patch ~ one branch)
>
> git rebase -i allows you to modify old patches.

When using rebase, one lose the history of the patch. One important
role of our VCS is to save this history, so i prefer to not use rebase
like that.

Another reason to not use rebase, is that in a shared repository
rebasing make cooperation and synchronization more difficult than it
have to be.

I really hope the solution we use will not only give us the patch we
have, but also the history of those patch.
--
Rémi Vanicat