Re: testing OCaml 3.11: help needed

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 13:35:10 +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:

> Julien Cristau a écrit :
> >>  - I am not sure about call_ld_with_proper_flags.dpatch;
> >
> > Meaning? [...]
>
> I meant: I am not sure to have updated this patch properly.

OK.  I thought you weren't sure about the intent of that patch :)

> > [...] The idea here is that you can't pass the same flags to ld and
> > gcc, and ocamlopt sometimes uses one and sometimes the other, using the
> > same variable, so we have to try and convert the flags.  In particular,
> > '-Wl,foo,bar', which works for gcc, needs to be 'foo bar' for ld.
> > Ideally the linking should always be done by gcc, but…
>
> Thank you for the explanation. Why is this specific to Debian? Shouldn't
> this problem be addressed upstream?

It should be addressed upstream, I think the patch was sent to their
bts a while ago.
The reason it was introduced in debian is that we needed to pass
--no-relax to ld on alpha because of some ocamlopt brokenness, so that
involved the -Wl,--no-relax -> --no-relax dance for the cases where 'ld
-r' does the linking (the -pack stuff, iirc).

Cheers,
Julien