Re: Page explaning naming of Debian packages?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 14:46, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> First of all it is not granted at all that two source packages with
> the same version number in two different distributions are the
> same. Within a single distro this is guaranteed (as the upload daemon
> would reject the latter upload), but cross distro it is not. It might
> be guaranteed by some Ubuntu policy wrt to Debian though, I don't
> know.

Yes, it is guaranteed by Ubuntu's -XubuntuY additional version number
in case of change:
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete#changelog
"""
Ubuntu and Debian have slightly different package versioning schemes
to avoid conflicting packages with the same source version. If a
Debian package has been changed in Ubuntu, it has ubuntuX (where X is
the Ubuntu revision number) appended to the end of the Debian version.
So if the Debian hello 2.1.1-1 package was changed by Ubuntu, the
version string would be 2.1.1-1ubuntu1. If a package for the
application does not exist in Debian, then the Debian revision is 0
(e.g., 2.1.1-0ubuntu1).
"""

> Even in that case, it is not granted that the resulting binary
> packages will be the same. In particular, some of the inter-package
> dependencies are computed dynamically during the build process,
> building them in different environment are likely to result in
> different dependencies.

(sigh) "There is no such thing as a simple job." (Tim Daly, of Axiom fame)

> BTW, the binNMUs which introduce the "+b1" version suffixes, are just
> plain rebuilds which do not touch the source package.

That's what I understood from Ralf's pointer. Thank you for the clarification.

Yours,
d.