Re: Page explaning naming of Debian packages?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:09:59PM +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> However this is raising another question: I assume that if the
> source packages are the same (i.e. same version number) between
> Ubuntu and Debian, the derived binary packages will be the same. Is
> this a correct assumption?

Yes or no, depending on which kind of equality relation are you going
to use to determine equality between binary packages.

First of all it is not granted at all that two source packages with
the same version number in two different distributions are the
same. Within a single distro this is guaranteed (as the upload daemon
would reject the latter upload), but cross distro it is not. It might
be guaranteed by some Ubuntu policy wrt to Debian though, I don't
know.

Now, let's assume that two source packages are identical (same
version, same content), which is probably the case for Ubuntu universe
packages, even though I don't know if it is always the case.

Even in that case, it is not granted that the resulting binary
packages will be the same. In particular, some of the inter-package
dependencies are computed dynamically during the build process,
building them in different environment are likely to result in
different dependencies.

BTW, the binNMUs which introduce the "+b1" version suffixes, are just
plain rebuilds which do not touch the source package.

Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
XML stuff is so ... simplistic  -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time