git and transition from native to non-native package

I'd like to move the approx project from svn to git, and also change
it to a non-native package.

I was thinking of doing a "git-svn clone" into a personal git
repository on alioth that would become "upstream".

I want to remove the debian/ subdirectory from this tree, but I'd like
it and its revision history to remain in a new "downstream" git repository in
pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/approx.git.

Any suggestions on how to do this, or other feedback?  Thanks.