Re: Broken builds on backports.org

	Hi !

Le Friday 11 April 2008 09:07:39 Stefano Zacchiroli, vous avez écrit :
> > But so, why isn't it already the default ? Begin new to ocaml
> > packaging, there can be something I didn't get so far.. Are there a
> > lot of packages that build-dep or depends on ocaml-base-3.10.1 or
> > ocaml-nox-3.10.1 ??
>
> Build deps on virtual packages are bad (tm) for a bug in the buildd
> software which has never been fixed

Just a follow up to confirm that the buildd configuration for backporting
ocaml-related packages it uterly broken.

Any build-dep pulled, directly or indirectly that depends on the stable ocaml
version makes the whole build dependency check fail.

For simple packages which depends only on ocaml and ocaml-findlib, it's pretty
easy to fix. For packages that depend on another libfoo-ocaml-dev, then the
backported *binary* dependencies for libfoo-ocaml-dev have to be versioned...

And for packages that depends on many ocaml-related packages, it's a total
nightmare. A very good example is ocamlnet:
http://experimental.debian.net/fetch.php?&pkg=ocamlnet&ver=2.2.9-1%7Ebpo40%2B4&arch=hppa&stamp=1211373749&file=log&as=raw

Ho, I also forgot a very nice breakage: if your package build-dep on
ocaml-base-3.10.1, which is a virtual package, then it will select ocaml-base
intead of ocaml-base-3.10.1, *but* the version in stable. Crazyness...

And of course, no known way to test this before uploading, since the build-dep
resolution is different in cowbuilder and co.

I don't believe it's sane to follow on this path of uploads/check/fix/uploads
cycle. Also, the amount of changes needed to have a working backported
package is not same. It implies versioning all deps, and even adding some.

Either we decide that buildd build-dep resolution is broken and ask for a fix
there, or either we stop backporting ocaml on stable.

Romain
--
We should really love each other
In peace and harmony