Re: ocaml 3.10.2 transition scheduled for next week

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:57:18PM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> I have already set Programming/OCaml for doc-base section in the
> auto ocamldoc generator + template.

Cool.

> >   * Sylvain: can you please commit the policy changes regarding camlp4
> >     naming?
> Yep.

Tnx.

> I am asking myself, if it is not the right time to split CDBS/policy
> stuff into ocaml-support package.
>
> We could do it into 2 ways:
> 1) split and add "depends" from ocaml-XXX to ocaml-support (ocaml-XXX =
>    packages where stuff has been removed due to the split)
> 2) split and let package using (mainly CDBS) stuff splitted add depends
>    on it.
>
> 1) is straight forward and should be done easily, except that there
> should be no ocaml script in the package. 2) allow to have an
> ocaml-support package with ocaml things in it, but require patching
> every package that will use it...
>
> What do you think of this split ?

I'm against of doing that during the transition. More generally, I'm
against adding *anything* which can potentially slow down the
transition, and your plan above is in that category as it increases the
number of sourceful upload we need to do. It also adds potential points
of failures (like, as dumb as it might seem, typo in specifying
dependencies).

Also I do not see the urgency of doing it now, as the CDBS class which
we have now is probably the one we will have for Lenny, as I doubt we
are willing to do radical changes in this point before the release. Are
we?

Still, once the transition is done nothing will inhibit doing the split.
At least at that point only the packages actually using CDBS will be
involved, whereas right now all will forcibly be involved as all need to
transition together.

Just my 0.02€.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/