Re: Git migration...

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 06:58:50PM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> BTW, what would you suggest to read as an introduction into concurrent
> version control systems and git? I have to admit that I am still
> living in the cvs/svn age.

No problem, I was there not more than 6 months ago :-)

On the Git website (http://git.or.cz) there is quite a lot of quite good
documentation, and the Git community is great. There is a tutorial to
get started at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html , but
beside being a good tutorial it won't let you grasp the way of reasoning
behind git (I read it, but when I started using git I was still missing
a lot of important stuff). Other "quick" pieces of documentation are
listed at http://git.or.cz/#documentation .

On the contrary, I was very satisfied by the user manual
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html). I
found it very well written and written to be read sequentially without
too much committed. I started reading it since the beginning splitting
the read in various days: it was enjoyable and useful. If you have more
than half an hour to spare reading docs, I recommend going for that
manual.

There are also a couple of Google Tech Talks on youtube on the git
topic. One is from Linus (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8) and
the other is from Randall Schwartz
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=8dhZ9BXQgc4). Both to me were more on the
enjoy/fun side than on the "learn something" side, Linus' is more fun,
Randall' is more tech.

The IRC channel #git on freenode is amazingly friendly and open both to
newbie and hardcore git questions. Though also on #debian-devel you can
find the "dynamic duo" madduck/Madcoder which are always ready to get
involved in git topics.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/