script for creating / checking out d-o-m git repositories

In order to test drive the git workflow for our packages, and in
parallel with the tests on svn -> git migrations, I've written a couple
of scripts to be used for starting working on new packages, using git
repositories on alioth.

The idea is they can help who is not yet familiar with git to start
over, doing (hopefully) the right things, namely:
- create the remote repo on alioth
- set up notifications:
  - mail notifications to the -commit mailing list
  - mail notifications to the PTS
  - CIA notifications for IRC
- inject a given tarball (i.e. the first upstream you are packaging) in
  the repository

The implemented procedure is basically what you can read at
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git, customized with sane defaults for us.

Meanwhile, since we have put as a requirement for the switch the
availability of proper documentations, I've also started taking notes
which should later become the "git guide" part of our policy, replacing
the "svn guide" we currently have (an appendix IIRC). They are just
notes for the moment, but they are a starting point.

Pointers
--------

The script to start over with a git repo for a new package is (on svn)
in /projects/git-guide/new-d-o-m-git-repo. A sample invocation for the
package I'm working on is:

  ./new-d-o-m-git-repo dose2 /tmp/dose2-1.2.tar.gz

Its companion, the script to later on checkout the just created repo and
start doing some work (usually creating our beloved debian/ dir) is
checkout-d-o-m-git-repo:

  ./checkout-d-o-m-git-repo dose2

The notes I'm taking are at /projects/git-guide/notes.mdwn

I think it does make sense to start using git for *new packages* before
migrating the old one, so that we can develop some experience and see if
something is not working properly. Of course it has the risk of possibly
needing changes on ongoing repositories later on.

If you wanna help out with feedback and/or contributions to the notes
you are more than welcome.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/