summarizing && first git test repositories available

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 06:00:49PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> svn -> git poll
> ===============
> http://doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=9h9ywrna56cukpmg

According to the poll and to the other people of took part in the thread
but did not actually vote, I conclude that there is consensus among
d-o-m contributors in switching from svn to git.

For this reason, I've hacked a couple of scripts to convert svn
repositories on alioth 2 git. They are available in our (soon to be
dismissed :-)) svn repository [1].

Checkout and symlink them somewhere in your $PATH. Having done that,
converting the subversion directory of a given package to git should be
as easy as:

  $ svn2git_pkg-ocaml-maint PACKAGENAME

(where of course PACKAGENAME maps to one of the directories we currently
have under trunk/packages/.) You can have a look at svn2git_alioth if
you want to pass more specific options, there's an example in the script
source.

The script basically invokes git-svn, but also takes care of other
tricky bits like the removal of .tar.gz tarballs from the history, the
conversion of svn tags to real git tags, and other horrifying stuff like
that. It doesn't yet, but will soon, take care of the final checkin of
upstream tarball as I haven't yet looked at git-import-orig in detail.

A random sampling of git repositories converted with the above script
are available as repositories of my own user at http://git.debian.org.
You can clone them doing, for instance:

  $ git clone git://git.debian.org/~zack/test/calendar
  $ git clone git://git.debian.org/~zack/test/pcre-ocaml
  $ git clone git://git.debian.org/~zack/test/ocaml
  ... you got the picture :)

They are there *ONLY FOR TESTING/REVIEW PURPOSES* (as you can get from
the URLs) do not expect them to be up to date or synchronized back with
the svn repo, as it won't happen.

Can you please have a look at them and check whether they match your
expectations for the outcome of a conversion from subversion? Also
comments on the conversion scripts will be very welcome as I'm no git
guru and it's very likely that I've overlooked something.

Cheers.

[1] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-ocaml-maint/trunk/tools/svn2git/

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/