Re: [proposal] switch our repository from Subversion to Git

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 05:14:13PM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> On 07-03-2008, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > pro/cons of svn -> git
> >======================
> >
> > The second new bit is an analysis of the pro/cons of the change. I start
> > with mine below, please contribute to the discussion.
> >
> > Pro
> > ---
> >
> > - Offline work
>
> Agree
>
> > - Reduced space requirements
>
> Agree
>

> > Cons
> > ----
> >
> > - Add yours here
>
> I am really not sure we can keep our revision history from Subversion. I
> really would like to keep it as far as possible (i.e. history of our
> subversion repository).
>
> If there is a solution for this point, i vote for a migration.
>
> However, i never have used git -- time to learn.

there are at least two tools to import the history, and i think many
already use git-svn to work with the svn repositories, there is git
import too.

As for learning, i long had fear of the learning barrier, even though
git is needed for the kernel, but it really is easy to move over.
Especially since the git tools tell you what you need to do :)