Re: please do not upload stuff until the transition is overl

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:18:32PM +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> > It's not applicable to liquidsoap.  That doesn't mean it's pointless.
> It's pointless in the way that it doesn't answer to my question which
> was "what can we do".

[ Relax you both or I will start waving a heavy cluebat around :-) (or
start killing camel kitten, choose the one which scares you most). ]

Welcome to the sad world of transitions. I completely agree that in
Debian they are currently frustrating, but is unfortunately nothing
specific to us in OCaml, it's just how things go. We are just a bit more
unlucky than other due to the tightness of our dependencies, but beside
that we are just like the other.

The only thing to learn is precisely what Julien said: coordination. One
has to be aware of the ongoing transitions and coordinate with the other
involved people before acting. In your particular case, have I noticed
25 days ago the bug I would have said to ahead and upload right now,
since we all knew at that time that the transition wouldn't have been
completed in plain 7 days. But now it is *likely* that it will be
completed in the near future, and we can't let people act lonely,
without considering the global state of affairs.  With liquidsoap we
have been lucky since there are no run time dependencies.

Regarding OCaml 3.10.2, we will see when it will be the time. If people
have to make big changes to their packages we can do that before
attempting the transition. If the changes are not so big we should go
first for the transition and then for the remaining stuff. We'll decide
together.

FWIW, if some proposals for "helping" transitions are floating around,
like having a blacklist which enable the upload queue to refuse packages
which are part of transitions. AFAIK none of them have been implemented
yet.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/