Re: problem with byte-code shared library dependencies

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:22:22PM -0500, Eric Cooper wrote:
> My debian/rules file builds a byte-code version in machines with no
> native compiler, but whereas the native-code version only needs to
> build-depend on libpcre-ocaml-dev (for example), the byte-code one
> needs to depend on libpcre-ocaml, because it has DLL stubs.  But this
> dependency doesn't get added to the package automatically (I guess

Apparently our policy addresses this problem:

  (from chapter 2.1)

  All bytecode executables should be linked dynamically against the
  shared libraries for C bindings, so as to not bloat the archive. That
  said, often the upstream authors will favor statically linked bytecode
  executables, because so they don't need to worry about the presence of
  the dll stub libraries and such. This is not a valid reason to use
  statically linked bytecode in a Debian package.

However, it does not tell what is the appropriate solution for that.
Before your mail I would have guessed that the pair dh_makeshlibs and
dh_shlibdeps addresses the issue, but apparently it does not:

  $ ls /var/lib/dpkg/lib*ocaml*shlibs
  ls: /var/lib/dpkg/lib*ocaml*shlibs: No such file or directory

Something to be understood here, but I'm running out of time for this
evening :-)

This however present a new issue: why aren't we using the BTS to keep
track of ocaml policy bugs? At least a couple of items that should be
fixed about our policy and tools that we aren't currently tracking
anywhere, and that's bad.

Eric: can you please start a new good habit be filing a bug report on
the ocaml package reporting this policy/tool bug? At least we have a
place where to store this kind of info (and which is IMO better than the
wiki, which can contain plans, but is usually not used as TODO list).
Other people are encouraged to do the same for similar issues.

'gnight,
Cheers