problem with byte-code shared library dependencies

I noticed that my approx package is broken on architectures that don't
have ocamlopt due to missing dependencies on shared libraries.

My debian/rules file builds a byte-code version in machines with no
native compiler, but whereas the native-code version only needs to
build-depend on libpcre-ocaml-dev (for example), the byte-code one
needs to depend on libpcre-ocaml, because it has DLL stubs.  But this
dependency doesn't get added to the package automatically (I guess
because dpkg-shlibdeps doesn't work on a byte-code executable).  What
is the right way to handle this?