Re: support for Debian/<not Linux> platforms?

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:04:04AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> So it will FTBFS on Debian/FreeBSD, Debian/Hurd, Debian/Solaris, ...
> but do we care?

The general answer I would give is "no". I mean, I will personally start
caring about that stuff when the release managers state that they are
release architectures. In the meantime of course I would try to be nice
with porters, so *if* Debian/{FreeBSD,Hurd,Solaris} people notice that
some packages of mine do not work on their environments and *if* someone
provides a patch I would be happy to apply that.

> If so, the right thing would be to use some conditional logic in the build,
> depending on OS platform.  Is that complexity needed?  Should it be in cdbs?

I don't want to see that in CDBS for the reasoning above: it is added
complexity not needed. That will be different of course when the above
systems become release architectures. In the meantime I suggest to
customize debian/rules on a case by case basis (even because they are
probably only a few).

Just my 0.02€ of course.