Re: ocaml 3.10.0 packages news

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 07:50:37PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> - the ocaml-nox .deb is now about 30 Mb and installs something like 9 Mb
>   of camlp4 related executables (sizes on i386 arch). Shall we split out
>   an ocaml-camlp4-extras with the various kind of camlp4 executables?

I think so.  I was going to suggest continuing to have ocaml-nox
contain camlp4, for compatibility, but have a smaller ocaml-core
without camlp4 that it depends on.  But now I see that this name is
(unfortunately, IMO) already used for a package that includes a lot of
misc. tools.  Is it too late to change that?  In other cases
(apt-cache search '.-core$'), it is used for just the essentials, not

> - ocamlbuild is installed upstream as ocamlbuild.byte /
>   ocamlbuild.native / ocamlbuild (the latter being a *copy* of the best
>   executable among the former two). This breaks the convention of foo /
>   foo.opt of other legacy ocaml tools. I thus renamed ocamlbuild so that
>   the plain version is bytecode (and is in ocaml-nox) and so that
>   ocamlbuild.opt is the optimized version (and is in
>   ocaml-native-compilers). Do you like my choice?

Yes, and please suggest it to upstream (unless the main OCaml tools
are also going to move in the .byte/.native direction).