Re: size concerns for the new camlp4

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 07:19:49PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I'm a bit concerned about the huge size increase of camlp4 related
> stuff, and I'm writing to you in the hope you can shed some light on the
> roles of the various new components of camlp4.
>
> Here are some numbers, where usr/ is a directory containing a sample,
> somewhat stripped, installation of ocaml, without the .opt version of
> the executables:
>
>   $ du -sh usr/ usr/bin/ usr/lib/ocaml/3.10.0/
>   178M    usr/
>   87M     usr/bin/
>   91M     usr/lib/ocaml/3.10.0/

Hi Nicolas, we are almost ready in Debian for the first official release
of ocaml 3.10.0 packages (experimental releases have already been
uploaded to our "experimental" branch).

I still have some size concerns.

The usr/bin/ stuff is now definitely better, "just" 9.5 Mb:

  zack@aquarium:/tmp/ocaml/usr/bin$ du -shc camlp4*
  824K    camlp4
  1,2M    camlp4boot
  1,2M    camlp4o
  1,3M    camlp4of
  1,3M    camlp4oof
  1,3M    camlp4orf
  404K    camlp4prof
  1,1M    camlp4r
  1,2M    camlp4rf
  9,5M    total

the usr/lib/ stuff is still painful:

  zack@aquarium:/tmp/ocaml/usr/lib/ocaml/3.10.0/camlp4$ du -sh
  69M     .

I guess that can't be reduced any further due to static linking needs,
so we are considering splitting camlp4 "extra" stuff in a separate
package. This way users will be able to have a basic ocaml 3.10
installation with just a minimal camlp4 not requiring to much disk space
and still be able to install separately extra camlp4 stuff.

Hence the question: can you suggest us where to draw a line between what
is "basic" camlp4 and what is "extra" camlp4 both in term of executables
and in term of libraries?

Many thanks in advance,