Re: ocamlopt not in s390 version of ocaml-nox. Why?

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 14:10:09 +0100, Esteban Manchado Velázquez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [CC'ing ocaml-nox maintainers]
>
>     I was browsing the bug list, and found #372074 (assigned to cameleon).
> It's a FTBFS bug in s390 (probably others), because it can't find the ocamlopt
> program.

That's a bug in cameleon. It shouldn't rely on ocamlopt, but use ocamlc
if necessary.

>     A quick check revealed that the program is usually available in the
> ocaml-nox package (see [1]), but it's _not_ there for s390 (see [2]). I don't
> know if that's a bug on ocaml-nox or what.

It isn't. ocamlopt is only available on architectures where a
native-code compiler is available, which is not the case for m68k,
mipsen and s390.

>     So, the question is, why isn't ocamlopt in the ocaml-nox package for s390?
> Is there any workaround, or simply cameleon won't work in that architecture?

ocamlopt isn't there because building to native code is not supported on
this architecture.
cameleon should use ocamlc when ocamlopt isn't available.
Unfortunately, cameleon seems to use a complicated ocaml script for its
configuration.

Julien