Re: build-depending on a virtual package

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 08:47:57PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> Another build problem is that ara source package produces four binary
> packages, but two of them (ara and xara-gtk) are not supposed to be built on
> some arches (like m68k, mips...) since they lack the native code compiler.
>
> We can make autobuilders happy anyway, but we can not prevent users of these
> arches (m68k, mips...) to build the source package locally (see #290338,
> 336283) and see the failure.
>
> Presently we show them a message explaining the reasons, but seems it is not
> enough explanative for some users ;-). Also dpkg-genchanges and friends are
> not quite happy when only two of the declared binary packages are being
> completed. Is there any sane way to convince these tools that "we know what
> we are doing" [tm] and to shut them up ?
>
> I have a really ugly hack for rules which is able complete all binary packages
> declared even on these arches lacking native code compilers. See rules.hack
> at: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/ara/trunk/debian/?rev=0&sc=0
> (yes, that is ugly, but doable I think ;-)

It seems to me, that your debian/control is badly set. Please have a look at
what we did with some other packages, where we use s substvar to set the
architectures that need native builds. If i remember well, spamoracle is an
example which does what you want to do.