Re: build-depending on a virtual package

George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just discovered the fact that ara build-depends on a virtual package -
> ocaml-best-compilers. I'm not sure about the reasons we have been after to
> declared this in a such way, but this should give random failures imho. How
> are autobuilders supposed know which physical package(s) to install to satisfy
> the provision of ocaml-best-compilers. Seems it is far better to build-depend
> on ocaml-native-compilers or I'm missing something ?

sbuild generates a list of all packages providing the virtual packages
and picks the first on on the list, which can be rather random. If
there is more than one package providing the same thing then this is a
bug as the build becomes non deterministic.

The bigger problem is that "apt-get build-dep ..." will give a list of
packages providing ocaml-best-compilers (which can be a list of just
one package if one has multiple sources.list entries but still count
multiple times) and abort if there is more than one package.

Does it realy matter to have the ocaml-best-compilers? Do we realy
need to save that extra 0.1s compile time by using the binary
optimized compiled on some archs?

MfG
        Goswin