Re: ocamlfind problem

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 05:36:36PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 16:58 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > We would use the Arg module, as defined at :
> > http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/Arg.html
> <snip>
> > not sure if this would be enough, but it is already a first step.
>
> I've adapted the install.ml file to use this idea and adapted the
> packaging similar to how advi does things. I would appreciate it if
> someone on thi slist had time to review my packaging to make sure I've
> done things right:
>
> dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/m/mtasc/mtasc_1.12-1.4.dsc

Great. I don't will have time until this WE or rather early next week to
review it, hopefully someone will have next week.

Why did you chose to use advi as an example, and not spamoracle ? The advi
example is only valid if you have c bindings, but even then, they should
probably be moved into a library package instead.

> I get some linda warnings:
>
> With native version:
>
> W: mtasc; A binary links against a library it does not use symbols from
>  This package contains a binary that links against a library that is
>  not in the Depends line. This may also be a bug in the library which
>  does not have a shlibs file.

I guess a missing depend line, see below.

> With the bytecode version:
>
> E: mtasc; Binary /usr/bin/mtasc contains unneeded section comment.
>  This binary or shared library is not completely stripped. It contains
>  the unneeded section .note, or .comment.
> E: mtasc; Binary /usr/bin/mtasc is not stripped.
>  The binary shown is not stripped, and is included in a standard
>  package, while Policy shows that it should be stripped.

These two are linda bugs. bytecode cannot be stripped, since it will remove
the ocaml bytecode and leave only an empty husk. Just override or ignore
those.

> Any idea how to fix these?

Hope this helps.

> Incidentally, is there a dh_ocaml script, similar to dh_python, which
> would change the dependencies, allow a ${ocaml:Depends}, prevent
> stripping of the bytecode and add appropriate linda/lintian overrides?

There is somethign such in the ocaml svn, not sure what the status is. Sylvain
and Stefano i believe where those who worked on it, and can comment more.