Re: GODI and Debian?

Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> If you're using stable/testing you have two choices. The first is to use
> backports. Unfortunately they're quite of day right now, since manually
> managing them is quite painful. I started working on a tool to ease (by
> the mean of automation) backports hoping to not lag behind unstable, but
> the development has stopped months ago. Lack of time, as usual. I hope
> to work on it again soon.
>
> The second choice is to keep watching our svn repository and manually
> rebuilt packages from them (hand-make backporting basically). It is
> fairly easy due to the way we manage ocaml version changes recently.

You mean one debian-ocaml-maint svn repositorie, don't you?
I will try this, then, since I'm using stable. And I also need some
other related package, like Omake, that I will manage also manually.
Supposing that you finish your tool to automate the backport, where
should I have a regular look, in order not to miss it?

> You can use Godi to manage a completely separate installation of ocaml
> under /usr/local (and that's easy of course). 0 interaction Godi-Debian
> in that case. In theory, it would be even possible to use Godi for
> adding packages to a Debian Ocaml setting, I tried to walk this way in
> the past starting packaging Godi, but unfortunately I tried it when Godi
> was swamped with incompatibility issues with the gcc compiler that we
> had in Debian at that time and thus I gave up. The tricky parts of
> course would be when you start having a package which is available both
> as a Debian and as a Godi package .... I think noone investigated this.

Do not expect me to try to mix, then ;-)
> You see, I gave you a few solutions, I hope at least to have given you
> some answers :-)

Thanks to all of you for your work and your answers.

Salutations

Matthieu