Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:52:57PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 01:36:21PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > To modify this, this means we cannot anymore build-depend on the right version
> > of the ocaml abi, but i think this should be ok, we just need to wait for
> > ocaml to be built and installed on each arch before going ahead with the rest
> > of them.
>
> I don't have the time to look at your work right now, but I don't follow

You have until monday anyway to review it :)

> you here. The resulting debian/control after substitutions in the ocaml
> package still have the provide lines. So why we can't still build-depend
> on them?

Because dpkg-buildpackage will check the build-depends before doing the
substitution.

> Nonetheless I don't like the idea of waiting for the package to be built
> and installed before being able to upload it. I would like to upload a
> package which build depend on ocaml-XXX and let the autobuilders build
> it when that dependency is available.

Ok, also my thought, maybe we can do as the kernel packages and other do, and
have a control.in, which in turn generates a debian/control with the right
debian/control target in debian/rules. You would build this one before
uploading, and then it will do the right thing down the way.