Re: libfacile-ocaml-dev

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:58:00AM +0100, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wrote an ITP for libfacile-dev (renamed it to libfacile-ocaml-dev, thx to
> Sylvain LE GALL).
>
> libfacile-ocaml-dev will be needed by newer kde-applications for some
> features. (I talked to the Kalzium developer and he needs it for linear
> algebra, so without this lib a feature is missing)

Oh joy, we become dependent on the whole KDE mess now :/

> Now i subscribed this ML and want to ask for a review of my packages.

Notice that the best way to handle ocaml related packages is to become part of
the ocaml team on alioth, and check it into the ocaml svn repository, so
people can review it from there.

> Please check them and tell me if you agree or if there are some issues which
> you want to be changed (just kick me and tell me ;)
>
> I don't like the situation with the ocaml version in the package.
> I hate static version numbers there (but don't know what to do with it yet).

What is it you are speaking about here ? The ocaml abi (virtual) dependency ?
This is no worse than embedding the C++ abi number in the KDE library names,
even i believe a bit more elegant, so should be ok. I feel that there should
even be a way to pre-process the control and other files, abd get the abi
number at build time from the output of ocamlc -version. Let me try this out
later today on the ledit package for example.

> Thanks for your help and I hope that I can help you with maintaining
> libfacile-ocaml-dev .

There is also the #debian-ocaml-maint irc channel on freenode, altough it is
not very active.