Re: approx and ocaml-http (was: Camlrpc and Cduce updated, new Camlgz)

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 08:51:27AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:56:57AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see this in Debian so I can use it in approx.  Right now I
> > > am forking gunzip/bunzip2 processes with Sys.command (and that's still
> > > faster than using Camlzip).
> >
> > BTW, did you ever found out the reason for approx failing to provide some
> > files ? It is pretty anoying when doing d-i installs through approx.
>
> Yes, I finally found it.  APT expects HTTP/1.1 compliance from the
> servers it talks to, specifically the ability to keep connections open
> for multiple requests.

Cool, i believe this will be RC for etch, so we need to find an appropriate
fix until then.

> There is a partial workaround one can do on the client side: use the line
>     Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth 0;
> in /etc/apt/apt.conf.

A mention about this in the README.Debian would be best, unless the below
fixes the issue.

> I patched Zack's OCaml HTTP to support persistent connections and it
> seems to have solved the problem (i.e., without requiring the above
> workaround on the client).  I'm hoping he can incorporate my patches,
> so I can check in the latest version of approx I've been running.

Ah, ok, this would do nicely then.

> I've also made a number of fixes to support Secure APT, since it
> imposes stricter consistency requirements on the archive (and
> therefore the approx cache) w.r.t. signed Release files.
>
> > Also, i wonder if it would be possible to write some kind of NAT
> > stuff to do approx calls automatically when a machine on the local
> > network is trying to access the debian archives outside ?
>
> This should be possible with iptables rules.  I'll look into it.  Are
> the names or addresses of the outside archive machines known in
> advance?

Well, not necessarily, but the list of official mirrors is downloadable from
the debian web site in a canonical place, or even from the debian mirrors i
think.