Re: GPLed Coq documentation

On 13/04/2005-10:47, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:

>  Hi Samuel,
>
> > I was wondering what was the status of the issue of Coq documentation's
> > freeness and if it was being dealt with.
>
>  I spoke of this with Hugo a few weeks ago and he seemed not very happy with
>  the Debian too-strict paranoia (e.g. GFDL not accepted). Thus he suggested

This position has been explained many times. I think
http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml is a good
summary of what many people in Debian think of the GFDL.
I don't know what the status of the discussions between debian and the
FSF is, though.

>  that he was going to consult again the rest of the team. After this I have
>  been away for a few weeks and now he is away and he will come back only
>  at the end of the month. I suggest to move it to non-free, where the ocaml
>  documentation is. In case it will be made DFSG-free you can try to move

Unfortunately, I don't think that's even possible today, since there is
no permission to redistribute Coq documentation. I guess debian needs a
statement from the copyright holders (INRIA?) granting the permission to
redistribute it. Actually, I believe that with this permission coq-doc
could still be distributed in the main section of Debian Sarge.

>  it back to main. Maybe it could happen before the next mass extinction on
>  earth or the next stable release of Debian, the first one to come...

heh :)

Cheers,
Julien, still hoping to see a free coq-doc :)