Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:00:05AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:44:03AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I kind of forgot why we are discusssing things, is it not a good idea
> > to bump the version number and reuploading when a new ocaml version
> > comes about ?
>
> It is not that easy. It can work as you propose for packages which
> depend only on ocaml (but still I stress that you need to bump _also_
> the >= build-dep in deb control to be sure autobuilder will use the
> right version!), but if I need to rebuilt a library libB which depend on
> libA I need to be sure that the library libA is that rebuilt with the
> new version of ocaml. Thus I still need to manually bup the >= build-dep
> on libA.

Well, my plan with control.in, will have the dependencies set to the right
thing when you run the debian/rules debian/control, depending on what you have
currently installed when you do it, and as i suppose you will have the right
versions of both ocaml and the library installed, everything should be fine.

The process will be as follows :

  1) when a new abi version of a depended library or ocaml is released, you
     install them.

  2) you update and export the greatest and latest version of your package
     from svn.

  3) you run debian/rules debian/control to generate the control file.

  4) if you are paranoid, you check that it did the right thing :)

  5) you build and upload the package.

The only thing that needs to be manually done is to install the right
libraries and dependencies, you want to build with, and all the rest is done
automatically.

> > What we really need is a way to do automated uploads once a new abi
> > change has occured.
>
> Each maintainer is free to work on its package as he wish. Personally I
> don't like the idea of batchly rebuild and reupload all packages of mine
> without testing them.

Well, you already have a tool to build the dependency tree, you can well reuse
this to batchily build all the packages in a non-uploaded tree (or into
experimental), try them all out, and if they are ok, batchily upload to
unstable.

I mean, when there is a abi bump, there is usually not much than a "Rebuilt
with ocaml xxx" entry in the changelog, no ? Does it really do to do all this
per hand, there are loads of packages and such. The ideally is to do automated
staged uploads with checking the upload queue for the fully build of dependent
packages and such, to optimize the unstable->testing migration time.