Re: Build-Depend on virtual packages

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:15:30AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:57:25AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > You can't Build-Depend on virtual packages.

> Ok, time to settle down this issue.

> We do, all ocaml packages build depends on ocaml-3.08.3 a virtual
> package provided by ocaml. What's the problem with that? It has worked
> properly for two years or so.

Then you've been lucky.  I don't think I've ever seen a clear statement that
virtual build dependencies *should* work, but they usually *do* work --
*except* when there are bugs, which has happened from time to time.  It
seems that sbuild particularly likes to object to build-dependencies on
virtual packages that were once real packages (e.g., libmysqlclient-dev ->
libmysqlclient12-dev).  As a result, it seems to generally be more robust to
build-dep on a real package when possible.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer