Re: opkg-buildpackage versus svn-buildpackage

Thomas,

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:28:25AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ralf Treinen wrote:
>
> >I recently did some experiments with svn-buildpackage. As far as I can
> >see, svn-buildpackage has all the functionality of opkg-buildpackage
> >(besides automatic fetching the upstream tar ball by apt-get source). It
> >is better documented, has far more features, and is certainly better
> >maintained than out hand-knit opkg-buildpackage. Furthermore, it
> >uses the features of svn, like tagging of released versions.
>
> It looks really great. However, just one stupid question: are they
> associated commands with svn-buildpackage, such as svn-cleanpackage and
> svn-editpatch ? I needed them when working on my Ocaml packages, so I
> implemented opkg-cleanpackage and opkg-editpatch (both available in the
> SVN repo). It would be nice if the new svn-* tools had the same commands
> available.

I did not know about these tools. *-cleanpackage would not ne needed
since svn-buildpackage builds the package in a separate build
directory. In the current setup of tuareg-mode I have put

pkg-ocaml-maint/trunk/packages/$PACKAGE/build-area

since this was the default value choosen by svn-buildpackage. But
this can be changed if necessary (the value is set in the file
debian/svn-deblayout).

Concerning *-editpatch: I do not know about anything analoguous
for svn-buildpackage, but it would certainly be useful. On the
one hand one could easily adapt it (you would unpack the
source with  "svn-buildpackage --svn-export"). On the other hand
it would be even better to have your script integrated in the
svn-buildpackage package, such that everybody in debian
can profit from it. This is one of the advantages of using
standard tools.

-Ralf.