Re: ocaml-findlib: to X or not to X

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:09:29PM +0200, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> > Just one last question though, how will findlib react if you have a package
> > which needs one of the X components, and it is not installed ?
>
>  The "ocamlfind list" command should list also the uninstalled package
>  (since it looks only for the META files). And all the other commands
>  will invoke ocamlc with the right options (e.g. -I ...), making the
>  compiler complain that it doesn't find one or more modules.

It would be nice if ocamlfind could distinguish between listed in META but not
installed and those who are installed. I guess this would be a trivial patch
(have ocamlfing look for the presence of the .cma or something such).

>  The only annoying thing is that "ocamlfind list" can be used by configure
>  scripts to detect the existence of a package (as an upstream author I do
>  that, for instance). Since this information is no longer reliable the
>  configure scripts could fail and a debian package could become unbuildable.
>  [ However, I suppose that this is not the case right now. ]

Bah, you have to have the right stuff in the debian build-depends, which have
to be done by hand anyway, so ...