Re: Summary : ocaml, QPL and the DFSG.

Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:38:38PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:30:29AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>>>And did you notice that trolltech is not a copyright holder on OCaml, and
>>>therefore their opinion isn't worth a hill of beans?  Annotations are useful
>>
>>Well, but the ocaml upstream read it. Would it satisfy you if i asked them to
>>aprove those annotations ? Or make their own ?
>
> The Trolltech annotations, on reading over them, don't truly address the
> worries that I, personally, have with the licence.  The two troublesome
> points, 3b and 6c, both have fairly poor explanations for their existence.
> In fact, 3b's annotation only enhances my concern -- Trolltech are quite
> up-front about their desire to take my modifications and sell them to other
> people, without any equivalent compensation to me.
>
> Also, there's a bunch of mentions of Qt and Trolltech in the annotations,
> which sound a bit odd in a licence for OCaml.  <grin>
>
>>>to determine the state of mind of a copyright holder.  A statement from the
>>>copyright holders of OCaml stating that their views match those expressed in
>>>the Annotated QPL would go some way to solving these problems.
>>
>>Ok, if this will make you happy.
>
> It would make me happier about 6c.  With the annotations there, we can argue
> that there's no potential for abuse.  There's still the timelimit issue,
> though.

I strongly disagree; the annotations strongly indicate that the intent
of 6c is to prevent people from having private modifications, and that
is exactly the interpretation we already expected.

> I think it's best if we collect all of the problems we're having and get
> clarification.  Random annotations from upstream might not address our
> points of concern.

>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Why is INRIA trying to apply a licence for libraries to a regular program?
>>>I suspected that was a large part of the problem.
>>
>>Because it other properties are nice. I think if i ask them to drop clause 6
>>entirely, they may even agree, apart from the bother of not using a stock
>>licence anymore, with stock interpretation. But it seems the non-freeness
>>point has shifted from 6c now anyway, so why bother.

No need to drop all of clause 6; if they would drop 6c, that would solve
half the problem right there.  In my opinion, 6c and the choice of venue
are the only non-free clauses; there are others that are annoying but
not non-free.

>>Alternatively, a clean recapitulation of all this would be a good thing right
>>now maybe.
>
> Quite possibly.  I think that starting a clean thread for each problematic
> clause should work, with an admonishment not to bring unrelated matters into
> each relevant thread, to keep it clean.

This seems like a good idea.

- Josh Triplett