Re: Fw: [Coqdev] Re: Commentaires sur bug Coq 708

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 07:13:24PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 06:49:48PM +0200, Samuel Mimram wrote:
> > Ok so (for non-french speakers), Hugo Herbelin says that COQ 8.0.1
> > should be out monday.
> >
> > He wonders what we're going to do since -- as Claudio already mentioned
> > it to us -- this new version still won't compile with OCaml 3.08.
>
> Arg, ...
>
> > Personally I'd rather have COQ 8 and OCaml 3.07 in Sarge since COQ 8 is
>
> Me not.
>
> > a major release (the syntax has completely changed, etc), whereas the
> > changelog for OCaml is rather "small". What is the opinion of other
> > debian-ocaml-maintainers on that?
> >
> > Hugo also mentions that the port to OCaml 3.08 is almost ready but still
> > needs testing. So there is still hope to have both COQ 8 and OCaml 3.08
> > in sarge.
>
> Well, almost ready sounds nice. I understand they mention testing, but
> we can do the testing together with ocaml 3.08 in the debian framework.

Well, i have been thinking about this last night.

I think it is more important to get ocaml 3.08 out as soon as possible.

For coq, there is no big problem, because either upstream is going to
fix the build, and as said, i don't really care about they taking some
time for testing, this is unstable, and we should be able to package
this in testing stuff, since the older version would be available in
testing.

Now, if the ocaml 3.08 version of coq is not available before the sarge
release, then no problem also. We simply upload a ocaml-3.07 serie of
packages, and build coq with it. It is almost parallel instalable, the
only problem would be to have the binaries called coaml-3.07 and such,
and i don't know if the coq build system can cope with that.

Also, could you tell us what the other coq dependencies are ? Do you
need lablgtk or some other such packages ?