Re: naming policy [ was uploaded ocamlgraph ]

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 11:59:51AM +0200, sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org wrote:
> So what should be our policy concerning naming scheme ?
> Do we choose name from functionnality ( graph and ldap ) or do we choose
> from upstream name ( ocamlgraph and ocamldap ) ?

I see two advantages for libocaml{graph,ldap} and one for
lib{graph,ldap}:

libocaml{graph,ldap}:
1a) consistent with upstream name and thus more likely to be found by
  users looking for the package (dpkg -l, apt-cache search)
1b) less polluting for the name space: libgraph-ocaml seems to denote that
  this library is _the_ graph library for ocaml, but it's actually _a_
  graph library, which happens to be named ocamlgraph

lib{graph,ldap}
2a) more simple

That said you can choose what, but (1a) is definitely a debian common
practice for almost all packages.