Re: again: inconsistency at the cmxa level

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 07:38:01PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

>> > Well, to get the dependency tree. Then we know which packages needs one of the
>> > modules we know changed.

>> > Yeah, maybe we should have rebuilt everything, and make a ocaml-3.08.2 Pseudo
>> > package or something :(
>> >
>> > Friendly,
>> >
>> > Sven Luther
>>
>> On that note, you can't Build-Depend on a Provides but you need to
>> introduce a dummy package. Build-Depends on provided packages fail in
>> odd ways every now and then due to the way apt-get handles this.
>>
>> E.g. for automake since that just happens to fail this way:
>> mrvn@frosties:~$ sudo apt-get install automake
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>> Package automake is a virtual package provided by:
>>   automake1.4 1:1.4-p6-8
>> You should explicitly select one to install.
>> E: Package automake has no installation candidate
>>
>> Anything with Build-Depends: automake will FTBFS here.
>
> Well, that is a bug in the auto-builders, isn't it ?
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

The consensus on Build-Depends has always been that they should be
deterministic and Build-Depends on provided packages are generaly not.

Since the apt team does not seem to accept the trivial patch for the
problem with uniqe provides you have to avoid them. That means
providing a dummy package instead of Provides or Build-Depending on
the actual package.

MfG
        Goswin