Re: Ocaml 3.08.0-2 ready to enter testing, hold back by 54+4 packages.

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:29:14AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 12:21:18PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:17:11AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > I have no reason to believe that this will fail to build with 3.09.
> >
> > Right. But since ounit is a library, it will need to be rebuild when
> > 3.09 will be out otherwise packages which are build against it will fail
> > to link.
> >
> > Currently this is probably not an issue since I guess ounit is a leaf in
> > the dependency graph, but it's a good practice for ocaml libraries
> > described also in the debian ocaml policy.
>
> I'm not sure this is right.  I should be able to apt-get source ounit,
> and, on a system with OCaml 3.09 installed, expect it to build a .deb
> that works with OCaml 3.09.  But AFAIK there's no good way to make the
> control statement generic enough.
>
> A dependency in the control file is saying that I know this package will
> only work with 3.08 (or whatever version).  But I don't believe that to
> be true.

Actually it says we want to force the autobuilders to use 3.08 and not another
version to build the libraries. This is also to avoid strange versions skew in
case of race conditions of the autobuilder when a new incompatible ocaml
upload happens while a library has not finished building on all arches.

> The on-disk format of .cmo/.cmx files has not changed, has it?

the .cmi format certainly has. Not sure about the others. File run on the .cmo
and co should give you the versions of such, so you can check by yourself.